Finished barn painting

IMG_3069.JPG

I finished the woodpile and darkened a few areas this morning, then, when it dried, I put a thin glaze of nickel azo yellow and yellow ochre over the top to tint it. It is a little more yellow than in the photo. I think the tint worked well for the subject given the age of the barn. More drama.

I tried using cad red light more in the painting as a base for the wall. I usually use cad red light as an accent but I am learning to use it better in mixes.

I have been thinking more about Jamie Wyeth’s work as I painted this and will return to that in a later post. For now, thanks for reading.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Finished barn painting

  1. Suzy Frisbee October 4, 2014 / 9:49 am

    Nice job! As for “not being the same color as the photo,” paintings never are, and they look all the better for it. Whenever I compare a photo and an artist’s rendition, I always wonder how the landscape artist figured out to use the colors that they did. Because they always look better than the photo.

    • coreyaber October 4, 2014 / 10:04 am

      Thanks! I should have been clearer in my post. I meant the tint I applied to the painting appears richer when looking at the painting than it does when looking at the photo I took of the painting for the blog.

  2. laber1 October 4, 2014 / 9:56 am

    Ta Da! Beautiful!!!

  3. Phyllis October 4, 2014 / 10:02 am

    Oh, Corey, I jsut love your barn painting. You’re right–the debris pile did add interest to it, and I like the dark green vines over the the wall and door. I’ve printed it out for my family album. Nice job. Now let me see if I can ever get this comment to print.

Comments are closed.